Fishin' Tales - Part 4: When You Have a Bite, Reel It In





     "The hand of the diligent will rule, but the slack hand will be put to forced labor." "The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the soul of the diligent is made fat." Proverbs 12:24; 13:4

     While not putting it in so many words, my daddy taught us three principals to fishing:

           1. Casting the lure exactly where you want it to go.
           2. When the fish strikes, set the hook right then.
           3. GET THE FISH IN THE BOAT!

     That being said, I recall him talking about a time when he was at his cabin, on a fishing trip with his best friend, Carl Noble (affectionately referred to, by daddy, as "Noodle-Nose").  They were out in the boat one morning and, at one point, daddy hooked quite a little fighter of a bass (I think it was a bass, anyway).  He said it was putting up a good fight, so he was working on trying to get the fish in.  Mr. Noble was excitedly telling him, "Play with it, George! Play with it!"
     Daddy's response: "Play with it, heck! I'm going to land the sucker!"
     Going back to step 3...when you get a bite, get the fish in the boat NOW!  Why?  Have you ever had that beauty of a fish, knowing it had some weight on it?  You get it pulled right up to the boat, then SNAP!  Off it goes.... with your lure!  Daddy's point was well made. We weren't "sport" fishers!  I could never be a guest on those fishing shows because they'd have to whack me with a boat paddle to make me turn my catch loose!  We catch fish to eat!  Why are we going to risk losing it?
     I've constantly heard people reasoning their sins to "I won't live forever, so might as well live it up!" Then what?  "I could die tomorrow, so I might as well go out with a bang!" Then what?
     God tells us to act NOW, not later, for tomorrow may be too late.  No do-overs.  No taking it back.  It's done!  I like the simple message in James 4:14, 17.  Basically, God is saying, "Hey bud, if it's right, DO IT!"  Our souls will prosper for taking action for the good of things (reread the Proverbs quotes, above).
     Folks, let's try to do things right and do them now, while we still have the chance to do it. Tomorrow is not a promise; it is only a gift.

1 comment:

  1. I like this story and message. Do right so that whenever this life ends, we are sure of our eternal home. :)

    ReplyDelete