Fishin' Tales - Part 2: Who's Driving The Boat?




     "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:6-7



     My daddy had an early ‘80s model Bass Tracker Tournament TX, aluminum, standard hull with a 90hp Mariner outboard motor. In that boat, I travelled all over Lake Livingston, Lake Limestone, and Lake Sam Rayburn. I loved that boat!!

     That being said, and being as young as I was, I didn't necessarily always like when daddy was DRIVING the boat! The bow, having a wide angled V, managed to slam into the waves with a jolt! If the water had some chop, you didn't feel like you were gliding. You felt more like you were bouncing the waves!

     Depth perception, on the water, also gets a little distorted. I always got nervous going under the bridge at Limestone, because it always looked so low, and we were heading full throttle toward it. Daddy would make me nervous almost EVERY time I saw his hand bumping that doggone throttle for more power! Then, one day I understood....

It was the first time that I captained the boat. I was at the wheel. I was in control....and darned if I wasn't running it at full throttle and my hand was still bumping, hoping for just a little more power!! I wasn't scared of my daddy's driving (even though he did wreck the old girl one time, but I wasn't on that trip), but when I was at the wheel, I HAD THE POWER!!....and the boat couldn't go fast enough to suit me, slamming waves and all!

     That is our BIGGEST problem as Christians...knowing when to relinquish control! When you feel that you are in total control, you feel safe; you feel secure. However, as a passenger, anxiety and fear can creep up on you. It took me my first time at the helm to totally realize that my daddy had that boat well under control, I just didn't feel it at the time. Folks, God has TOTAL control of our lives. We just need to stop trying to wrestle over the control and let God do the driving. I promise you HE'S GOT THIS!

2 comments: