Tales From The Trailhead - Part 1: Mind Your Footing



     "For I am the Lord your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, ‘Do not fear, I will help you.’”  Isaiah 41:13

     A couple of years back, my long-time friend Ryan accompanied me on a camping/hiking week long adventure.  Physically demanding as it was, I was more prepared for what we were facing than he was.  Why?  I had spent previous years going on several hiking expeditions, acclimating myself with various challenging (and fun) terrains.  I was ready for a great deal of what lied ahead.  Ryan was running on faith, mostly.
     All of that being said, one day we came upon a river, during the hike.  The water was fairly shallow with a very rocky bottom.  As shallow as the river bed was, it was not nearly shallow enough just to go wading across.  My boots could handle getting wet, but they ended just above my ankles.  Beyond that would have meant a water-logged boot.  Ryan’s were even less equipped for the trails, as they were.  So, slowly and carefully, we set out across the riverbed.  We located any rock that was running almost surface level to step on.  It was slow going.  The rocks were slick.  I was relying heavily on my walking stick for balance.  At times, we were forced to backtrack and change our course.  I believe our commentary consisted of “not if, but WHEN would we slip.” 
     I recall at one point; I could not find a sturdy rock to continue forward.  The pickings were getting slim and I was already stepping on some very precarious rocks, not offering very much surface to set even half of my foot upon.  After surveying all of my options, I found a stone that looked like it could support a foothold.  It was a little deeper than most of the rocks, but not deep enough that the water should envelope my entire boot.  I went for it.  I barely had the ball of my foot on the rock when if shifted, causing my foot to go straight to the river floor.  It was JUST enough to allow the water to come over the top of my boot and soak my sock!  Aw man!
     Ryan hadn’t fared any better.  His boots didn’t have the necessary traction on the soles to handle most of the rocks.  Eventually, he also had to deal with wet feet.  Of course, we had a big laugh about it.  The entire time, we were just waiting for that one fatal error that made the differences in comfort and sloshing around in our boots.  Ugh! 
     We realized that this was bound to happen.  We also realized that we could deal with it, if the inevitable did happen.  So, did we chicken out?  Did we turn back once we reached the river?  Did we decide not to face that challenge?  Of course not!  We took it!  We met it, head on!  We felt good about the experience…in spite of wet feet!
     God calls us to move forward along His pathway (see 1 Corinthians 7:17, Romans 12, Proverbs 3:5-6).  God isn’t giving us an easy challenge.  He is testing us.  He tests us to see if we accept His challenge.  He tests to see if we decide to take an “easier” path.  He tests to see if we run from whatever obstacles are blocking the path.  He doesn’t want us to run and hide from them.  He wants us to keep moving forward.  He expects His children to take one step at a time, find our footing, and move forward.  It isn’t about the speed that we are traveling; it is all in the progress that we make.

1 comment:

  1. But I don't like "wet socks". ;) Good reminder during the rocky and sometimes unstable journey.

    ReplyDelete