Fishin' Tales - Part 3: Proper Preparation IS Advised





     " Thus Noah did, according to all that God had commanded him, so he did." Genesis 6:22

     I'm going to jump forward, in time, in my memories, to my adult years.  I was visiting my buddy, Robbin Munson and his family, during the spring, one year.  He and I decided to get a little fishing in, on Lake Belton.  Like true fisherman, we arose in the dark hours of the morning, to get on the lake just at the crack of dawn.
     We pulled up to the boat ramp, then started prepping the boat: lowering the motor into position, priming the fuel line to the motor, unhooking the mooring line keeping it held to the trailer, etc.  Everything was good to go. Robbin hopped in the truck.  I hopped in the boat, and he started backing the boat in.  I got the motor cranked, after a few deliberate tries (that little motor could have a temperament, at times), then waved my buddy to set me into "cast-off" position.  I grabbed the stick (he had a small manual controlled outboard) and backed the boat smoothly off the trailer, noticing a little bit of water around the fuel tank compartment.  Waiting for Robbin to park, I swung the boat around to take a small lap and clear the motor's throat, so to speak.... a little more water down there.
     I pulled up to the shore line, Robbin hopped in..... still more water. Enough for us to start paying attention to it.  We started looking for possible structural holes and what not. Nothing.  After a few minutes of utter confusion, we found the source of the problem......
Now, you would THINK, that a couple of grown, intelligent men would, FIRST thing, PUT THE DOGGONE DRAIN PLUG IN PLACE!!!  One of our shining moments of stupidity, thanking God that NO ONE was around to witness this utter lack of intelligence.  Fortunately, we remedied the problem, pumped the water out, and headed out on the water.
     God gave Noah instructions, in Genesis 6.  He was to build a boat (I'm going to convert to give you a better idea on size) that was approximately 450 feet long x 75 feet wide x 45 feet high...practically, a 7 story floating mammoth! God told Noah to use gopher wood and cover the entire boat in pitch (to seal it).  Now what would have happened if Noah was a little careless with sealing the boat??  An utter disaster!
     Robbin and I were fortunate that ours was a small (but stupid) oversight, but there is still a lesson there.  Make sure you have made your "spiritual boat" properly prepared for the water.  Don't go off half-cocked and start forgetting small details.  Satan would love to seep in and swamp that boat, just as the water was leaking into the boat that morning.
God is the plug, the pitch, the sealant, that makes our vessels "sea-worthy". 

1 comment: