Fishin' Tales - Part 1: Never Give Up



 

     "Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him." James 1:12

     It was a beautiful day out on Lake Limestone, up where my daddy's cabin was set. My brother, Larry, and I took off in daddy's boat, to a section of "underwater woods".... stumps, logs floating around, you know the kind; a perfect spot for fish to hide.
We were trolling along through the thick. Larry was set on the bow, I at the stern. Now, I pride myself on my first weapon of choice being a bait casting reel, because they take more skill. Those of you that are unfamiliar, it's a casting reel where the spool is exposed and, when casting, you apply slight pressure with your thumb, while the spool is releasing the line, to hold proper tension. 
      For my fellow anglers, that use these, you know what it means to "backlash". I hit one of those moments! It was a mother of all "bird's nests" in my reel. So, I begin the painful job of trying to untangle the line on the spool, my floating lure trailing along in the water. You know that's just a perfect moment for.... BUMP! Yup, I felt it, first HOPING that my lure brushed a piece of dead wood. Then, my line really started dancing around in the water. Of course! I'm trying to unravel a mess on my reel and THAT'S the moment a fish decides to strike! 
      I look down at my reel, then at my dancing line dipping into the water, back down at my reel, again. "But...but...but..." reeling in my line, even more, spelled certain "death" of my line; an even more painstaking task to clear up. "What did you do?" you ask? What do you think I did? I cursed the fish then reeled his scaly butt into the boat!! A nice bass! Into the live well he went, and a good twenty minutes following of pulling out my line and having to cut the tangled mess out.... a good section of my line, wasted.... BUT, I got the bass!
      God puts us under trial, continuously. He knows how to throw that wrinkle in a challenge and asks us: "How bad do you want it?" "Are you willing to take the struggle, or just give up?" God does not want us to give up our perseverance as Christians.
There are times that we will feel ourselves losing our resolve. When that happens, we need to ask that we may remain strong and focused (see Hebrews 12:12-13).

No comments:

Post a Comment