Voices of the Wise



But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine.  Older men are to be temperate, dignified, sensible, sound in faith, in love, in perseverance.  Older women likewise are to be reverent in their behavior, not malicious gossips nor enslaved to much wine, teaching what is good, so that they may encourage the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be sensible, pure, workers at home, kind, being subject to their own husbands, so that the word of God will not be dishonored.”  Titus 2:1-3

One of my favorite country songs is performed by Chris Young, titled Voices.  It expresses a young man’s thankfulness to the sound advice from parents and grandparents, alike.  Words that stay in his head, throughout his life.  Some things may be very simplistic, while others can be a little more in-depth.  Whatever the case, they are valuable lessons that the elder passes down to the younger generation.  These MUST be taught, as much as those lessons MUST be heard.

I can certainly relate to the lyrics within this song.  Often, I find myself in a situation which I invoke the advice from either my parents, or grandparents, enabling me to hear them inside me.  We all have those moments where we hear our mom or dad’s voice, telling us what we should or should not do.  Those moments make me smile, every time.  Not exactly because my parents spoke those words of wisdom to me but, because I listened and filed those words in my mind, for future use.  It was important that those words left an imprint on me that my parents could be proud of.

In reading this passage in Titus, I want to draw attention, not to the advisor but, to the listener.  More and more, as I observe society, it seems that fewer lessons are being handed down from one generation to the next.  I could only assume that the older generation decided to give up, since the younger generation stopped listening.  It feels to me that a lot of things shouldn’t change, as the years go by.  It happens when those sensible lessons of value are lost, ceasing all together.

Like many, I was a hard-headed kid, refusing to listen at times.  You know how it goes: I’m a teenager so, I know more than my parents, now.  It’s a common mentality.  The problem is, the parents cease to teach and let the kids run free.  No guidance.  Sure, kids want to rebel as they age.  However, deep inside, they want the wisdom of the generations before them.  Some openly seek it.  Others may try to avoid it.  They want it, nonetheless. 

The greatest teachers that ANYONE has to rely on, haven’t earned education degrees.  They have experienced making good and bad choices, on their own.  They had opportunities to listen to their parent, before them.  Wisdom given to them, passing it down to the next generation. 

I will continue to hear the words of my parents, along with my grandparents.  I could not be thankful enough.  Through those lessons, a part of them lives on within me.  God willing, they will live on in my own children.

No comments:

Post a Comment