Heed The Rules, Or Fall Off The Cliff

      

     "It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?  But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.  Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?"  Hebrews 12:7-9

     Raise your hand if you ever disobeyed a law?  Come on, I'm pretty sure that it has happened.  You may think "But, it's not big deal.  Everyone does."  Is it not a big deal?  It is, by human nature, easier to break a law than it is to follow one.  By law, I mean ANY sort of rule, whether in the home or in public.  It is easier just to turn away from it, right?  From what I observe, more stress is applied to those that do not respect those caution signs of life.
     Here is the real kicker to that previous sentence.  This stress comes because people that have problems sticking to a disciplined plan have trouble enforcing rules upon others.  Those that have trouble enforcing, find problems with CREATING the rules.  (I speak as a former teacher.  Believe me, I'm not making this up.)  I was speaking to someone, the other day, and we were discussing the differences in a person that creates a rule and the person that enforces it.  Who has the tougher job?  The enforcer, always.

    
     As a classroom teacher, I was responsible for the growth of my students.  It wasn't just the academic standpoint.  I was also in charge of helping those young boys and girls learn responsibility.  Because of that, I had to enforce boundaries.  In order to do that, I had to be more than just an enforcer.  I had to be the creator of the rules.  The school set it's rules.  I set more rules, in my classroom.  I wasn't changing the general rules, I was enhancing them to meet the expectations that I was attempting to set.  After completing those two aspects, I had to really focus on the other part of enforcing, which is CONSISTENCY.  If I caved in, even once, my students would take that opportunity and run.  I couldn't let up, or turn away from any of the rules.  I'd have lost my students' respect, end of story.
     As Hebrews tells us, God sets rules for us and we are expected to follow.  He won't give in to excuses from us.  His rules are set.  We need to follow them, regardless if we think they are relevant.  Just like the many times that I have been on the hiking trails, I gave each warning sign it's due respect.  I'm not crazy enough to assume that I don't have to pay attention and do what I want.  That could lead to me tumbling off a rock ledge, or and uncomfortable encounter with a predatory animal.  I have to do my best to avoid those dangerous situations.  
     The consequences are not fun.  They are not meant to be.  In this day and time, society looks at discipline as negative and unhealthy.  Read Hebrews 12 again.  God will look at us as illegitimate children, if we remain without discipline (vs. 8).  Likewise, when we set rules and are children do not follow, the discipline needs to be something that will not be liked (vs. 11).  You've heard the phrase: "You give them an inch, they will want a mile"?  Think about it.
     So, it is important that we, as adults and God's children to follow the rules that are given, whether we personally agree, or not.  Then, we need to create and enforce rules for the younger generations to follow.  It is a pattern that is breaking down and it really needs to be rebuilt.  

 
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment