A Mighty Lamb





   “And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power.  When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they.”   Hebrews 1:3-4

     Being alert is a vital factor to my hiking explorations.  Why?  I am, in a sense, invading the land of the wildlife, though not meaning to cause confrontation.  It is unwise to assume that, while I may see tracks of where other people have hiked, that I may not have an unfriendly encounter with some animal that may not like the fact that I am just a bit too close to their homes and families.  I traverse areas that are homes to bears and mountain lions, wildlife that can put up a decent fight when threatened.  So, though I may be enjoying my ventures, I keep constant alert.  I don’t want to unintentionally be a threat. 
     A lamb, on the other hand?  Pretty timid, shy, mild-tempered.  A lamb would likely turn tail and run, having spooked easily.  Yes, if I were to encounter an animal, I’d prefer to encounter a lamb.  Not much of a worry about being attacked, right?  Yes, a lamb. 
     Why would the Son of God be referred to as a Lamb?  Why a timid creature?  Jesus was certainly able to hold His own, after all.  He was part of God.  He could have called down an army of angels to destroy everyone that meant to harm Him.  He wasn’t weak or shy, like a lamb.  He was a turning point in history.  He was the definitive point in which people were to set aside the outdated teaching of the Old Testament (Law of Moses) and to bring a new order (Heb. 1: 2).  He healed many that were sick, blind, even raising the dead (Matthew 8, Mark 3 & 5, John 9, Luke 7 & 17…just to list a few).  He was in the seat of honor, at the right hand of God (Heb. 1:3).  Why a lamb?
     Jesus did not come to conquer.  He did not come to overthrow.  He did not come to forcefully enslave people to God.  He came as a choice.  He came to teach and set examples, giving Himself as a gift to save, should mankind choose to receive it.  His message was gentle, as a lamb’s demeanor.  His earthly life served to end with a sacrifice of blood, His own.  In essence, He was raised (on earth) as a sheep to be slaughtered.  That was His purpose.  That was His goal.  While many viewed His death as their victory, it was His shining moment.  God’s purpose did not end with the death of His Son, it has just begun.
     I am thankful that Jesus was, and is, the Lamb of God.  His life and purpose gives my life hope.  Not just my life on earth, but it gives hope for my soul.  A hope that I can join Him and the Father, one day, for all eternity. 
     Take a good, long reflection of that last statement, for yourself.  Feel free to let the goosebumps roll!

2 comments:

  1. Goosebumps...check. Pretty amazing how such a powerful God cares for us in such a gentle way.

    ReplyDelete