An Open Heart




"Greet one another with a holy kiss. The churches of Christ welcome you." Romans 16:16


The verse that decorated the sides of my old congregation's bus.  Being so young, my first thoughts were:  "What? Are we suppose to go around kissing everyone?  I don't get it."

In truth, what this simple verse was saying, the motto that my congregation was trying to display was this: Greet everyone with a friendly smile and a kind word. What better time of year to remember this simple thought?

This Christmas has been filled with a collection of “firsts” for me with the birth of my daughter.  Watching my wife and daughter, both sleeping soundly.  Holding my little girl on my chest and feeling her tiny breaths.  Looking into her curious blue eyes as she tries to put focus in this new world.  The feelings they bring are beyond words.  This is a new world of warmth and peace for me.  Before Christmas, last year, I was blessed in the sanction of marriage.  Now, this year I’m holding my little baby.  It is a warm blanket that wraps around me that even the coldest Colorado days cannot break through.  It is easy to assume that everyone is experiencing something of this kind as Christmas Eve rolls on.  However, I know that isn’t reality. 

Many military mothers and fathers are unable to hold their babies against them and watch them sleep.  Many spouses will not be sharing a kiss under the mistletoe.  Many parents will not be able to watch their kids tear into their presents Christmas morning.  That is only a fraction of people that will be experiencing heartache this Christmas.

Whether you know people personally or not, here’s a few suggestions that we could take to heart:  Be kind to everyone you encounter.  Give a warm smile and kind words to that worker at the drive-thru window of your favorite fast food restaurant.  They may be working hard for a few extra dollars to spend on the family’s Christmas dinner.  Thank that cashier at the Walmart checkout, even if they struggle with your purchase.  They may be near the end of a very long shift, and having to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas day.  Visit a friend that is missing family.  Better yet, invite them to dinner.  Little acts of kindness can carry a lot of weight.
May everyone find a bit of peace and joy this Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment