Ready or Not!



“Therefore, you also must be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”  Matthew 24:44

My wife and I woke up this morning to a power outage.  It was still dark, so I instinctively went for my camping lanterns.  A quick scan outside the window told me that the neighborhood had lost power.  The nighttime snowfall had caused a branch to knock down a power line somewhere.  My wife set to work lighting candles while I got a fire going in the fireplace.  After a while the power was restored, no problem.

For me, a power outage is no big catastrophe.  My parents raised me to have survivor instincts.  I can go into “camp out” mode any time the situation calls for it.  However, I know a lot of people that would be helpless, bored, and restless if they were forced to be without their creature comforts (cell phones, social media, etc.) for too long. Let’s face it, if an EMP knocked out the system nationwide, too many people would be at a total loss as to how to survive.  Thus, they’ve become the sloth.  Slow thinking, dependent, and lazy.  They aren’t prepared because they just expect everything to work as “normal”.  (Which is also the reason that there isn’t a great deal many people that I would want to take on an actual camping trip with me.  No tech allowed.)

Society, in general, has become too comfortable in settling into “convenience mode”.  If there is an easier way to accomplish a task or an app that will do the work for them, they will choose it.  They want everything laid out for them, no effort required.  That’s the first mistake.  Second, they get the attitude of “I’ve got time, I’ll prepare later.”  They get the mindset that there are more important things and that is at the bottom of their priority list.  The present concerns them more than the future.  That can be terrible thinking, especially when applied to our spiritual lives.

In the first thirteen verses of Matthew 25, we are told about a group of virgins that went out in the evening to await the arrival of the bridegroom.  Half of them took extra oil for their lamps, while the other half did not.  As you could probably figure, the night waned and by the time the bridegroom had arrived, the unprepared virgins could not keep their lamps going, for they had no oil to fill them with and were forced to find more oil.  By the time they were ready, the marriage feast had begun and the entrance doors were shut.  The prepared virgins were able to attend the marriage feast, without delay.  Verse 13 sums it up nicely by stating “Watch therefore, for ye know not the day nor the hour.” The bible repeatedly commands us to be prepared.  It warns us that we won’t know when the time will come. 

Folks, I keep fresh batteries ready in my lanterns.  I keep my emergency power packs charged.  There is fuel ready for my camp stoves.  Of course, I use these items for the luxury of being out in the middle of nowhere, but I keep them accessible at home, just in case.  I don’t know what circumstance might arise where they will be needed.  That is why I keep them handy.  I DON’T KNOW WHEN THE TIME WILL COME THAT I NEED THEM.  In that same mindset, I attempt to stay prepared spiritually, because I DON’T KNOW WHEN MY TIME WILL COME.  It will be too late then.  I will have no one to blame, except for myself. 

Ask yourself, “Am I prepared for when the Savior returns?  Will I be ready the day that I WILL be facing the Lord?”  It isn’t a question of “I didn’t know that I was supposed to…”  Are you a lazy sloth or are you a survivalist?


Which will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment