Become Like a Child


And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them, and said, ‘Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.’”  Matthew 18:2-3
I was chatting with my cousin this morning, catching up on what is happening with our families.  She commented on a particular breakfast phrase that her youngest had spoken this morning.  It was a cute child’s phrase, and my cousin wasn’t ready to correct her daughter just yet.  She was relishing on the last bit of the toddler phase of her youngest daughter.  Then we continued the discussion about the older kids and their individual successes.  Each of the kids carving their own little niches, from the middle school/junior high achievements to the academic triumphs of her oldest, a 1st year college student.  My cousin and her husband, were already making the discovery that “my child(ren) are reaching a point in life where they can function without me.” 
Every parent of a teen and older knows what I am talking about.  One day, they are holding on tight to you and before you know it, they hit that “let me do it” stage.  I know that my wife, Megan, feels these moments when it comes to her own child.  For the better part of my stepson’s life, it has just been him and his mother.  (I just recently became part of this little family, at his current age of 12.)  While he still has learning to do and parental guidance to receive, he is taking on more of life’s responsibilities on his own.  Megan would readily agree that it is tough to let our kids go, letting them do the things that we have constantly done for them.  It’s a realization that we have to let them grow up.  We, as parents, were meant to teach and pass on knowledge.  If we attempt to hold them back, our kids will pull away.  So, we must let them grow, whether we are ready for it, or not.
We, in turn, are meant to learn from our children.  They have the one thing that we no longer possess: the power of innocence.  Right and wrong are defined as simplistic “good or bad” situations, not yet made complex by the understanding of sin.  A child’s mind is not ready for such heavier responsibilities.  While I may be new to the realm of parenthood, I can say from my years of teaching young kids, we rue the day that our kids become aware to the higher realm of good versus evil.  Innocence is the most beautiful aspect that they have.  It’s difficult to see the point of life in which that changes. 
“Let the little children come to me,” Jesus said to His disciples.  He also instructed them (and us) that we need to be like children if we are to enter the kingdom of heaven.  We need to return to some of that very child-like innocence.  We need to lean on our heavenly Father to continue to teach us and guide us.  It may be difficult to admit that we, as adults, still need to be led.  It’s not something that we were made to do on our own.  Just as our own children will continue to need us as they continue to grow, for different levels of guidance, so we continue to need spiritual guidance every day of our lives. 

Enjoy the early years of your children, but let them grow as necessary.  Remember, as you are teaching them to grow, to learn from their youthful experiences.  

No comments:

Post a Comment