The No-Sweat Plan



   “But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will take care of itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.”  Matthew 6:33-34

     Is anyone thinking of the lyrics of Bobby McFerrin’s rendition of Don’t Worry, Be Happy, right about now?  In my case, that would be the lyrics of the country band Alabama singing, “We don’t sweat the small stuff.”  It continues to be easier to SAY not to worry, than it is to actually DO it.  I don’t think that we could really call ourselves decent, loving family people if we didn’t have are share of worries.  I don’t have any children of my own yet, I worry about my friends’ children and what kind of world that they will be forced to fill our shoes in, with paths of corruption being accepted, basic morals no longer practiced, and leaving our kids’ spiritual growth to others. 
     I have plenty on my mind to worry about.  I worry about my medical condition.  I worry about finances.  There is plenty to keep me on the “worry train”.  However, I keep hearing God’s voice, telling me, “Hey, don’t sweat the small stuff.  I’ve got this under control.”  So, while I work to find solutions, as God very much expects me to do, I don’t allow myself to wallow around the “pity pool”.  It isn’t healthy, for one thing.  Second, worrying simply means that I am not giving myself and my problems completely over to God, to manage.  All I need is a faith the size of a mustard seed (Matthew 17:20, Luke 17:6).  Just enough to fill that tiniest of seeds.  A seed which flourishes into an enormous tree. 
     Does that mean that I am to sit idle and do nothing?  Of course not!  Even though I see people doing this on a regular basis, God will not drop that million-dollar lottery ticket into your hands.  You didn’t work for it, nor did you earn it; therefore, you don’t deserve it.  Many just squander it to the point that they become bankrupt.  Others, they just give it to charities so the money is in the hands of those that truly need it.  Yet, day after day, people hope to become overnight millionaires.  Where does their faith lie?  In money!  Money cures all things right?
     As Matthew 6:24 states, “You cannot serve God and wealth.”  God will not answer our financial problems with a quick-fix.  However, having that small amount of unwavering faith, God WILL NOT let us be in need.  He wants us to put forth the effort and good will come of it. The apostle Paul warns us, in his letter to the church of Thessalonica, to not be idle (2 Thessalonians 3:6-12).  The bottom line is:  God expects us to give everything our best effort and let him take care of the rest.

     Don’t sweat the small stuff.  God can handle our burdens much better than we can!

1 comment: