A Mountainside Lesson


     “When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him.  He opened His mouth and began to teach them…”  Matthew 5:1-2

     If I were able to travel in time, I would want to be sitting on the Mount of Olives as Jesus began to teach what came to be known as His Sermon on the Mount.  A lover of nature, I would relish being out in that setting, hearing a lesson from the Teacher, to top it off!  I couldn’t think of a better way to start the day.  I would be glued to every word, like an eager child, begging to hear more and more.  Every time I read those passages, I picture myself sitting there, actually hearing Jesus’s voice as He began speaking, “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.  Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth….”  (Matthew 5:3-5)

     This was the One that had just recently spent forty days fasting and then was tempted by Satan (Matthew 4:1-11).  The Son that had John baptize Him, when He did not need to have this act performed (Matt. 3:13-17), to show how important it was for people to follow this commandment.  The same that had come across some fisherman and told them to leave their boats, nets, and livelihood behind to follow Him (Matt. 4:18-23).  Don’t you think that someone like that deserves to be heard?  I’d think so!

     Jesus covered a lot of ground, in the following two chapters.  He speaks of being disciples that are not afraid to be heard, standing up for their Father (5:13-20).  He tells us how to handle our relationships with others (5:21-48), and teaching us the importance of prayer and giving (chapter 6).  I could go on and on but, take some time to read these chapters, for yourself.  Let Jesus’s message fill your hearts today and spread those words to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment