Fishing New Waters





          A wise man will hear and increase in learning, and a man of understanding will acquire wise counsel.”  Proverbs 1:5

          I have fished the lakes of Livingston, Limestone, Conroe, and Belton.  I have cast my line out into the Trinity and Brazos Rivers.  I have utilized a spin casting, spinning, and bait casting reel.  Fishing the bottom with a Carolina rig or using a top water popper in a brushy area, I’ve done it.  Under my belt, I have hauled in various species of bass (white, black, largemouth, smallmouth, and striped), while also tangling with catfish ranging from channel, yellow, and high fin blue.  Whether sitting in a boat jigging a roadbed or casting off a bank, I’ve learned diversity and utilizing the right combination of lure to location.  I was pretty well set.  Then, I started checking out the fresh water lakes around my new home in Colorado.
          Trout and pike seem to be the more popular species in this area.  The first moment that I had looked at my tackle, I knew that I had a situation!  I wasn’t geared to fish for those little buggers.  GREAT!  Now what?  It looked like I was up a creek…. you know the rest.  What do I do?  Hope that the fish are dumb enough not to have a favorite “menu”?  Hope that they’ll go after anything that passes by?  Yeah, sure!  Maybe pigs really will grow wings, too!
          I knew what had to be done.  I went back to the research board.  I had to start learning again.  Sure, I knew a decent bit about fishing.  However, the circumstances have changed.  I’m in a colder climate.  I’m going after a different species of fish.  I needed to know their habits and patterns.  Where are the best spots in the water to cast my line into?  What lures and bait will they most likely strike?  Based on the climate and shallow river systems, it looks as if I will be learning two more types of fishing: ice fishing and fly fishing. 
          The point that I am making is that my previously acquired knowledge was no longer enough.  I was required to “hit the books” again.  My lessons were not over.  Oddly enough, many “believers” tend to think that after they have accepted God as their Father and Jesus as their Savior, that is all that is required.  BZZZ!  Wrong answer!  The learning never stops, especially for Christians.  Could that be the reason that so many “Christians” today tend to agree with societies view of accepting sinful practices as things that should be tolerated and allowed?  Many are quick to agree with a liberal view of what they believe God accepts, without studying for themselves.  Folks, that’s a little scary.
          Studying God-breathed scripture (2 Timothy 3:16) is not a one-time thing.  It is constant.  I continually need go back and look up verses, to ensure that I am not misquoting them.  I constantly read one scripture, then look at other scriptures that apply to what I’ve just read, to fully understand the meaning that God intended to give.  My wife and I, have begun to study together, every evening.  We discuss what the passages are saying, sharing our perspectives with each other, ensuring that we are not attempting to add or take away the knowledge that God expects us to gain.  As Jesus’s beloved disciple tells us, in his second letter in Ephesus; if we are to move forward without following Christ’s teaching, then we do not have God (2 John, v. 9). 
          As we continue down the pathway of life, we need to have God’s Word in our hands.  We will face new challenges and new experiences.  Without proper knowledge, how are we expected to handle those situations properly?  Simply, we won’t.  We will fail.  If we hope to succeed, then we must be willing to take time to arm ourselves with knowledge.  We want to keep the data fresh in our heads.  We need to make sure that our spiritual “tackle boxes” are properly stocked to handle what lies below the surface of those new waters.  After all, we are fishing for keepers, aren’t we?

          “And He said unto them, ‘Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.’”  Matthew 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment