Don't Provoke, Or Accept Your Fate





          “Get rid of the old yeast, that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are…” 1 Corinthians 5:7a

          I knew that I had messed up and there was no getting out of it.  Being the daring adventurer, I decided to go off the path, hike where I wanted to go.  That is when I found myself face to face with a mountain lion.  Without meaning to, I strayed too close to her den of cubs.  This mother was out to protect her little ones, even if that meant bloodshed.  My heart lodged itself into my throat.  Sweat was coursing down the side of my brow.  My mouth was drier than any desert.  I started seeing faces of family and friends flash before me.  The question wasn’t if I was going to die, but how?  Would this mother lunge right at my throat?  Would she swing around behind me and grasp the back of my neck in her powerful jaws?  Would she slash me with her ferocious claws?  How would my fate be served?

All I could do was keep facing her as I backed away, slowly.  My hands held out in front of me, hoping that I may be able to reflect any blow.  I moved back directly in the path from which I just came, hoping that it was exact opposite of her cubs.  I was too scared to move suddenly, praying that my very slow and careful movements would not provoke her.  One step at a time, she’s approach, stop, and move another step toward me.  She didn’t close the distance, rather just maintained the same space between us.  Afraid to take my eyes away, sure that she would take advantage, I maintained visual of her face, not necessarily trying to meet her angered eyes.  Inch by inch, I continued to move away.  It had been an eternity as I began to lose visual of the spot that her tiny cubs were resting.  The mother cat followed me a bit further when she finally stopped, just holding her ground until I was within what she determined was a safe enough distance to allow me to return to where I started.  The hair that had been standing straight upon the back of her neck was finally settling back down.  She was letting me go.  Silently, I thanked her.  I got the message loud and clear: Consider this your only warning.  There will not be another.

Fortunately, what I just related did not actually happen.  Could it have?  Of course.  While I love venturing out into unknown territory, I also respect my boundaries and respect the territory of others.  However, when is the warning just not enough?  When comes the time to act?  While God’s word has shown us many examples of mercy and offering a second chance, it also instructs us when it is time to take a more direct approach.  Does that mean that consequence of wrong-doing must be a harshly performed act?  Of course, not.  Not saying that it will be pleasant to the wrong-doer. 

The author of Hebrews tells us in the twelfth chapter and the eleventh verse that “All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterward it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.  So, what is this writer attempting to tell us?  Discipline, or facing a consequence, should be applied in the hope of correcting a choice or behavior.  If not, the consequences can, and will be far worse.

On the other side of that coin, we are fully accountable for are actions.  There are no excuses that are legitimate.  We make the choices, we should expect the equal results for those choices.  Read Jeremiah 17:10, Matthew 12:36-37, Luke 47-48, and Romans 14:12.  God is watching what we say and do and He will hold us to the choices we make.  If we do not hold ourselves in account for how we treat family, friends, coworkers, etc.; how should we expect God to show us mercy when we full well knew that we were not making the right decisions? 

Should there be a time when the "attack" is warranted? 

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment