The Bells Are Ringing





         “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.”  Luke 2:14 KJV


Christmas adornments hanging on the street light poles.  Houses illuminated with icicle lights and yard decorations.  Stores all decked out for the season.  Favorite carols playing on the radio (or playing my Duck the Halls cd). The smells of fresh spruce and cinnamon.  Tasting sugar cookies.  Yes, I LOVE this time of year!  This year has brought on an exceptionally new meaning, for me.
I look at the presents that are accumulating underneath the tree and think to myself I’m not going to be taking these gifts anywhere this year.  These presents are staying right here, to be opened on Christmas morning with my family.  Normally, Christmas morning my tree was empty underneath, all the presents that I bought being taken somewhere else.  Not this year.  This year I’ll be at my house, opening presents with my family, gathered around my tree (our tree, but you get what I mean).  There is peace in my heart.
I will certainly miss not having other family members with us, that I’ve been used to having.  I’ve always enjoyed exchanging gifts with my mom and stepdad.  I’ll miss seeing my godchildren during the Christmas vacation.  My brother and his family.  My closest friends.  Of course, my mother can rest assured that she will be getting that call on Christmas morning (I know better than to cross the woman that brought me into this world.  Ha ha).  However, my family and friends know that I am with my new family.  There is peace in my heart. 
This season is a time to take a few of those old traditions and mix them with new traditions.  It is the start of original customs to merge with the familiar ones.  New experiences and adventures to be had.  There is peace in my heart.
Clearly, as Luke wrote, God wanted (and still wants) the world to be full of peace.  He wants us to be charitable in our hearts.  He wants us to be able to lend a helping hand when we can.  God sent us the perfect peace, by way of His Son (Ephesians 2:14).  He wanted that peace to fill our hearts and to share with those around us. 
As you are scrambling to prepare for kids to be off for Christmas and trying to purchase last minute presents, don’t forget the spirit of Christmas.  Don’t forget that it is a time to be hospitable to others.  It is a time to enjoy the company of family and close friends.  It’s always a time to enjoy a good meal…and the nice, surprising gifts are an added treat.  Don’t forget to take a moment to allow yourself to absorb every experience. 
Have peace in your hearts.

1 comment:

  1. Love you and I'm so excited for our first Christmas as a family! <3

    ReplyDelete