Continuing the Journey: The Path Already Travelled (Part 1 of 2)



          For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.  Romans 15:4


          It is natural to glimpse back into the previous three hundred and sixty-five days that we have lived.  The closing of another year.  We see the memories that gave us feelings of joy, pain, anger, desperation, and relief. 
          The beginning of this previous year was not one of hope and promise, to me.  Medical complications steered me into trying to create a manageable work environment, totally different from what I had been used to.   Still not having answers to what was (and is) ailing me.  I was feeling very much alone.  Granted, I focused more on God’s Word and sharing what I have learned, but I still felt isolation.  It was a feeling of uncertainty.  For the first time, I looked at a new year in complete loss.  I was in the proverbial jungle without a compass. 
          While I was certain that my condition left me fated for a single life (which I came to accept), God turned the tables on me.  He brought someone in my life that wasn’t concerned with my “status”.  This beautiful soul saw everything positive in my life and fell in love with those things.  She opened my eyes so that I could look beyond what was slowing me down, and to center my attention on those aspects that could help me overcome. 
          This year closes with my gaining a new status: husband.  I still look back and say to myself, “Who would have thought it?”  I may not have gained a handle or understanding of my condition (yet), but I gained a loving wife that I am absolutely crazy about.  Now, we continue the path together, hand in hand.
          The past teaches us that we shouldn’t lose hope, even when the chips are down.  As Paul tells us in Romans, the past is for our instruction, to learn from it.  Even in the earliest recorded times, we are advised not to forget what was seen or heard in the past (Deut. 4:9).  The events that are behind us are our stepping stones.  While we do not want to dwell in them, we want to use them as ongoing lessons for our lives.  I came across a quote by Dr. Warren Wiersbe, a theologian, that states, “The past is a rudder to guide you, not an anchor to drag you.”  Sound words!
          So, as we close this year, look back at the steps you have travelled.  Reflect on what you can learn from them.  If you had a life-altering experience, as I did, then remember that God is constantly in control and He takes care of those who continue to look to Him.

          Tomorrow, I will conclude this two-part lesson with a look at the Path Ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment