A Feather In The Wind



“A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” Proverbs 16:9


Any "Forrest Gump" fans?  I love this movie for the simple lesson that it teaches.  This lesson comes at the beginning and end of the movie.  Remember that feather that you see, been pushed and tossed in whatever direction the winds takes it?  That defines the title character of this movie.  Forrest did not attempt to control his own destiny.  He went with the flow.  Whenever someone suggested that he do something, for merely said, "Okay", and off he went.  No hesitation or questions.  He just did it.

That should be how we respond to God's guidance.  Just go and do it.  How often do we try to question His choices for us?  How many times do we try to outthink God?  We know what direction we need to go, right?  Anybody?  Bueller?...….Bueller?

Proverbs 3:5 answers by stating: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”  Who will direct us?  God!  He is our Shepherd.  What does that make us?  His sheep!  Like sheep, we will wander off, get lost, or caught in some sort of trap; being unable to find our own way back or, get ourselves free.  We need to trust in God's plan.

What in your life is bigger than God's purpose for you?  I want to clear the air, about myself.  I have nerve damage in both inner ears.  It causes nonstop tinnitus and a slow deterioration of my hearing.  My audiologist stated that I will, most likely, reach a point where my hearing aids will no longer be sufficient and will require cochlear implants to maintain my hearing.  I have a condition which affects my senses and my balance, particularly in my vision.  The doctors are only able to give as educated guess to what the condition might be.  I have to take medicated drops in my right eye to keep the pressure from building up or, I could possibly get glaucoma.  I recently found out that my spine is out of alignment and am in rehab to get it properly aligned again.  On top of that, between a couple of my lowest lumbar vertebraes, my body did not produce enough cartilage to cushion those parts of my spine.  This is needed for proper spine health (movement, bearing body weight, and acting as a shock absorber).  I have no clue as to what future reprocussions might be.  Needless to say, physically, I have a few problems.  

In all this time, I NEVER asked God to "fix it."  Don't get me wrong, I would love to wake up tomorrow, knowing what is it like to hear normally, again.  I would love to not have to worry about pain in my lower back and neck.  I would LOVE to be able to walk down an aisle in Walmart, searching for an item, and NOT feel lightheaded.  BUT, I didn't ask God to fix it.  What I do ask God for, constantly, is to help me get through it.  Help me prepare IF these things progress to more problematic situations.  Guide me through and to allow me to continue moving forward, regardless of my physical condition.  If I become crippled, will I find another way to go hiking and fishing?  Yes!  Do I still go shopping with my wife?  Certainly!  If I should lose my hearing, will I still be able to communicate with my family and friends?  Of course!  My sweet wife, Megan, is already putting possible solutions in her mind.  She's not going to let me give up if things go south.  God won't either!

The thing is, God has things for me to do.  Should my physical condition prevent that?  NO!  Why?  God will use me in the most effective way that I can be to His service.  In comparison, my condition is rather small.  Anyone familiar with the evangelist, Nick Vujicic?  If not, I won't explain.  Just look him up.  He is a prime example of: "God use me!  My trust and faith is in You!  YOU will show me the way!"

Are you allowing God to use you in the way that He has planned?  Or, are you resisting, so certain that YOU determine and control the path you are walking?  

Think about it.








2 comments:

  1. XOXO...God is in control. Great read and inspirational message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Duane! Very thought-provoking and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete